Monday, April 5, 2010

Differences

To all of my education peeps, I hope your first day back in the final stretch went well! The next three weeks will fly by! I have an inservice day tomorrow, not sure what it will be about. It is scary to think I only have 10 'teaching' days left. For those who know him, my professor - who made this opportunity possible - Brian Lewthwait is going to be coming up next week to act as my Faculty Adviser. The pressure is on now, or is it fear of disappointing? Both? Either way, I'm really looking forward to him being here. I will have the opportunity to get constructive criticism and advise from a mentor, as well as watch him in action. It's going to be good!

So Easter is all over here. The town goes all out. It seems more like a celebration of spring though than an 'Easter' celebration. I did not hear any talk of easter egg hunts, or candy from any of my students. I was hoping to put up more pics from the weekend, however the internet is slower than Clearwater dialup today...

I thought I would compile a list of some of the other differences I have encountered.
  • Feast - Bring your own cutting utensil if you want the country food
  • At a feast, country food is frozen and served on the floor
  • Kids skating down the street is common
  • Bicycles, still common in this weather
  • I have not had fast food in a month!
  • The only motorized transportation I have used is a skidoo.
  • Consumption of processed food is very high - myself included and likely responsible for a few msg induced migraines...
  • Its 10:30 - I can still see sunset
  • Kids don't judge, even in grade 7
  • Animal skins everywhere
  • more to come....
What i'm listening to:
Razorblade - Matthew Mayfield
Use Somebody - Kings of Leon
Mr Invitation - Greg MacPherson
What i learned today:
When i get into it, i actually kinda like planning - hard to admit
Complete the sentence:
Its better to

5 comments:

  1. - and no cell phones, mine makes for a great alarm clock... thx blackberry! ooooh that reminds me i likely have a bill to pay. poop

    ReplyDelete
  2. haven't seen one come through. Last one here was due March 01/10???

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey! Say hi to Brian for me when he gets there! I think you'll have a blast with him there, so don't be nervous!

    Teaching this week has been awesome! I've been having a lot more fun with it the go round. I also can't believe that you have so few teaching days left. I'll be in practicum until May 7th, so I've still got a good stretch to go yet!

    Sounds like you're having fun up there!

    It's better to be thought a fool then to open your mouth and remove all doubt!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i love the purity in everything there. its like they see the world, just as it is and appreciate everything for what its worth. non capitalistic attitudes perhaps? can't complain here bec. prac. is good, but that type of "attitude," to teach must be refreshing. its also nice to see that kids still play. skating down the street= awesome. small town life is and can be good. GMAC is playing the WE this sat! Wish i could go, but my wallet says no. Good thing I got to see him again this past fall with his white t and tight blue jeans. sigh. xoxo. i am already sad that i won't be with you and haley, hanging out on the train tracks this year!

    ReplyDelete
  5. p.s. HI Brian! SUper awesome Shel! xoxo

    ReplyDelete