Sunday, April 4, 2010

Easter Bunny?

G.D. rabbit forgot about me. I want chocolate!

I guess I'll live... In fact, I'm living. Living it and loving it. Yesterday ranks as one of the neatest days on record for me. In the afternoon, I watched the Igloo building competition. There were some really talented Igloo makers. It's amazing how quick they went up. The two (of 7) igloos that were done first were built by a man and a woman that I would say were in there 70's. I guess they've had some experience, and were likely born on the land. The snow sculpture competition did not happen, not sure why.

The winning igloo - because it was first done? Its not quite done in this picture.

The inside of the winning igloo

After supper I had to opportunity to go dog sledding with a couple folks. Neither of them were really familiar with dog sledding, I think one guy had gone once before. Anyway, we were able to borrow a woman's stuff and take her dogs out. We got out there - all dog teams must be kept out of town - hooked all the dogs up (easier than I expected) to the komatic, and we were off! We took turns, one of us with the dogs and the other two on a skidoo. Basically all we needed to know were the 'go faster' and 'slow down' command. It was pretty awesome! This is a huge understatement, but it's really hard to get into words. When the skidoo wasn't nearby it was just you, 8 dogs, sea ice, and fresh air! Despite having no real idea what I was doing, it was extremely relaxing and peaceful.

The dogs ready to go.

Simply, Awesome.

Today, I'm going to go check out the tobogganing, if I get my ass in gear. If not, I will just be going to the Community Feast tonight. There is supposed to be a lot of 'country food', I'm looking forward to that. I'll let you all know how it goes! The feast is followed by gospel singing and a family dance. "Hokey Pokey, Chicken Dance, YMCA and lots more!"

Happy Easter Everyone, enjoy your westernized tradition of eggs, rabbits, chocolate, eating and the extra long weekend it provides some of us!

What i'm listening to:
Strange Condition - Pete Yorn
One Day You Will - Lady Antebellum
Say What You WIll - Justin Hines
What i learned today:

Sometimes you can trust a stranger
Complete the sentence:
I pick this hangnail because

4 comments:

  1. shel:
    my questions:
    1. can we build an igloo next year..provided i am here...
    2. you should tell all about this blog. it is great and i do not say that just bec i am slightly bias. can i post it on fb?
    3. i wonder how long things will take to get out there bec i am sending you something sometime this week.
    4. life out there seems simple. i like that. no worries. be happy.
    5. maybe these are not really questions, but comments.
    6.i never believed in the easter bunny. apparently it has no relation to buddhism.
    7. perhaps you could post a video? esp of any ones of you doing a chicken dance.
    8. i write and read fast; skills obtained from working at the university of manitoba. also, i may be there all summer...:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1. igloo yes, if you are here
    2. should take about a week i think
    3. simple yes, sometimes its what you make it
    4. i like comments too
    5. i would like to post video, but they are on my ipod which is not synced with this computer, i cannot figure out how to get them off the ipod. help...

    ReplyDelete
  3. A - I replied to this, and it says there is one extra comment... but it is not showing, wierd.

    ReplyDelete