Saturday, April 3, 2010

Thank you

Well, I slept through the departure of the seal hunt. Oh well. The next activity that gets going today is the igloo building competition. I'm looking forward to seeing the igloo's being built and seeing the finished products. I've been in the Arctic now for almost 4 weeks, and still haven't seen an igloo... but I guess people don't go to the prairies and say 'man, where are the tipis'? There are also other games and a snow sculpture competition happening all afternoon.

I was invited over to the principal's to watch a couple Bollywood films last night. The first was 'Bride and Prejudice', 2 stars - it was cute. The second wasn't so much Bollywood, but a film based in India with Owen Wilson and Adrian Brody. I felt like I should have been stoned to enjoy it a bit more. 2 stars - kinda funny. Maybe I'll watch it again sometime under different circumstances ;) It was a joke, mom. Yes Haley (and Geoff) that movie reference was for you...

So, does anyone have any questions... No? There will be a test tomorrow, I hope you are all ready for it... insert snotty teacher grin here - cause you know that's the type of teacher I will be right? Seriously, what do you all want to know about what its like up here? It is getting to the point for me (in living up here) that most things do not seem new anymore, so I may not be inclined to share some things. So ask lots of questions. Athena? Where did you go? Always skipping class ;)

Oh ya, I did a hike up Cemetary Hill yesterday with Ali. Was a really nice day. So sunny, but the wind did make it feel like -25. I'll attach a couple pictures. Its a neat place. The graves seem to circle the hill, looking over the surrounding landscape. It was a really clear day and we got a really good view of the area. We could see mainland to the south and west, Avvajja to the northwest. It seemed like there was something in the horizon to the north... which I convinced myself was Baffin Island. However, I'm not sure it was clear enough to see 50 km.

View to the SW. There is a bit more town to the left - where I live. Is it just me, or is it weird that this was taking on Good Friday... just sayin'

Inukshuks on top of Cemetery Hill. The Dark spot on the horizon is likely Avvajja.

I will title this one - Iglulik through Inukshuk - yes dork, self proclaimed.

What I'm listening to:
Strangers on a Train - David Nail
Stepping Stone - Duffy
Married by Elvis - Barlow
What I learned today...ish:
The new Greg MacPherson album is fantastic. ch ch ch check it out!
Complete the sentence:
The best quality of my favorite teacher was

3 comments:

  1. when i was thinking of a title for today's post, I was in the process of emailing a speaker from when i was in lethbridge who had a profound impact on me... she said to say thank you every day when you wake up, be thankful for what you have. so anyway, wanted to say thank you for reading my blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. i do not have alot of questions. just keep writing and put in pictures. after coffee this the highlight of my day. do you know how long it took me to find the q ? have a good day. love dad.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh man! i am trying to keep up shel! did you just scold me? on blog? and skipping class comment??? why i otta.....

    the best quality of my favorite teacher was caring.

    did you e- mail....oh i forget her name...it has slipped my mind!
    and if so, wow. wow. that quote just made me think of her and put a little warmth in my little asian heart. xoxo

    ReplyDelete