Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Tusk

I think I mentioned in a previous blog that I was going to get a walrus tusk. Well, I didn't just get a walrus tusk... I got two. I'm pretty excited about them. The biggest one weighed about 1.5 lbs. I gave it to one of the carvers in town and he's going to do 'something' with it. His son is actually in my class, which makes it even more exciting. Looking forward to getting the finished product. Walrus up here are a very valuable resource, especially for food. Like most animals hunted by the Inuit, very little goes to waste.

So far the only local foods I have been able to try are Arctic Char and Caribou, both prepared in very western style. In the post where we went on the land, the picture of the frozen walrus is actually the meat and blubber of a walrus wrapped/sealed in its skin. Hopefully I will get the opportunity to try other food as well.

Well folks, not much else to report on today. Tomorrow is Hamlet Day and there are games happening around town. I hope to get out and see what all is going on!

What i'm listening to:
Everybody's Broken - Jann Arden
Charlotte - Rosie Thomas
Come to my Window - Melissa Etheridge
What i learned today:
A polar bear paw in your porch can be a reality in some places
Complete the sentence:
My favorite song of the moment is...

3 comments:

  1. Hey, your trip looks great. All of the snow is pretty well gone here, it has been unbeivebly warm. Great for calving, I think we are at about the 40 mark now.

    talk to you soon?? Skype on Sunday???

    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. i hope calving is going well. wish i could be there to help. i'll try to call home sunday morning.

    ReplyDelete
  3. my favorite song of the moment is anything by david bowie.

    ReplyDelete