Coldest day yet! -34 this morning, -43 with windchill. I thought that would help warm all of you reading this in Manitoba who were considering complaining about the cold night you are about to have ;) I guess I'm kinda weird though, I don't seem to mind the cold. That being said, the weather is supposed to warm up dramatically here over the weekend... but the forecasts can and do change rapidly.
I'm going to take this opportunity to vent. I wondered if this was an appropriate forum to do it, but to go along with the 'coldest' theme, I feel it is appropriate. Being separated from the real world a bit, I am surprised myself, by how much brain space this is using. I wish that I could just let it out of my head, pretend it is not an issue that should bother me right now (but I did enough pretending the first 25 years of my life.. haha). Anyway, what the deuce is Sheldon talking about? Ann Coulter. I cringe just spelling her name on here. Seriously. How is someone allowed to promote such hatred and ignorance in this world? And not only that, be allowed to do it in this country. Now I'm not saying ignorance and hatred do not exist in Canada, we all know it does. And, I'm not saying someone's right to speak should be denied. But, why the hell do we need to be inviting hate and ignorance to be promoted here? I think we get enough of it from media, uninvited. For those of you not familiar, google her name, it won't take long to find one of the awful, disgusting things she has said. As a human being, as a white person, as a minority (albeit not visible), as a member of what a lot of people would call the 'privileged' class, as an educated person, as a person who holds some power, as a speaker to attentive listeners... how can I have so much in common with this (I don't want to call here a woman, because that seems so disgraceful to the women in my life). I recognize these 'things' as a part of who I am, I choose to use them in a positive way. It bothers me so much that there are so many people in this world trying to do good things and go completely unrecognized and undervalued for it, and this, this, this, THIS gets so much publicity and attention. Worst of all, it takes up so much space in my head... I need to go for a run, oh wait, I'm in the arctic.
I've said it before, and I'll say it again. IGNORANCE IS INEVITABLE, BUT NOT AN EXCUSE. Continue to learn... always.
What i'm listening to:
Vindicated - Dashboard Confessionals
Call Me - Shinedown
Sober - Kelly Clarkson
What i learned today:
If you tell them the answer and they still get it wrong... you obviously have not taught them anything.
Complete the sentence:
if...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
whew! That was a doozy - I agree with you!
ReplyDeleteHope you can sleep!
if...I eat another cookie I'll definately have a tummy ache! Mason and I made sugar cookies yesterday (or was it the day before - days seem to blend together...)
Love your blog - take care!
c
Hey, kick that name out of your head, it take up way too much space.
ReplyDeleteYou can only change one person! You can influence people and give opionions, digest information, but the impetus to change is a personnal choice.
Love your mommy
It is good to rant, I think you inherited the trait!!!
if...mmmm...sugar cookies....i mean, if all the people in the world thought the same way about "right wingnuts", the world would be a better place. Alas, tis not the case.
ReplyDeleteDress warm!
thanks Cara, looking forward to seeing your family when i get home
ReplyDeletethanks mom :)
Jay, i agree... got completely distracted when i thought of sugar cookies... sugar cookies could make the world a better place!
Sheldon: when I first met you, you didn't have a cell phone. Now you own a blackberry, blog (with pictures!) and exchange digital wisdom with your mother on the interwebs.
ReplyDeleteWhat the deuce*?!
*Random fact of the day: I was reading some Chekhov for my theatre class a few months ago and one of the characters used "what the deuce" completely seriously. Apparently people once used this phrase!