Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Inservice Day

Well, my first official inservice day as a 'teacher'. Today and tomorrow are inservices for all the teachers and school staff in Igloolik. Today was a lot of historical information on Nunavut and the Inuit people. I learned a lot of new information, but the day was a bit slow. It was cool though, the entire day was done in Inuktitut/English with a translator. There is another student teacher that just got here on Saturday, from Nova Scotia. Its nice to hang around with someone else who's new as well.

I hope nobody was too concerned that I didn't blog yesterday... anyone notice?! I did have good intentions to, but got invited over to one of the other teachers to watch Sherlock Holmes. Its an ok movie. Half way through though the power went out. Maybe not such a big deal in the south, but up here when the power goes out its scary. #1 you can't see ANYTHING, it was an overcast evening so there was no moonlight. #2 people don't have generators. #3 it gets damn cold in a hurry! But, we found a flashlight and it only lasted for about 15 minutes. Apparently there was something to fix that required power to half of the town be shut off.

It's a beautifully cold sunny day here today. When its this cold for extended periods of time, you appreciate the sun! Looks like highs will remain in the mid -20's for the next week, but at least the lows aren't getting down to the normal mid -30's. Its almost at 12 hour days here, 11hrs 40 min today. By the time I leave it will be nearing 20 hours daylight.

What i'm listening to:
Be Somebody - Kings of Leon
One Day You Will - Lady Antebellum
What did i learn today:
To keep learning: ignorance is inevitable, but not an excuse
Complete the sentence:
To make this world a better place I am going to...

5 comments:

  1. I'm almost jealous of the 12 hours of daylight! I love the sun! I guess I shouldn't be telling you that we were around +10 today....

    To make this world a better place I am going to be a teacher!

    ReplyDelete
  2. And you will be a fantastic teacher, Sarah!
    I keep winnipeg weather on the 'dashboard' of my computer, its a nice reality check, but i'm not missing it yet...

    ReplyDelete
  3. You really shouldn't be missing Winnipeg weather either. We've had so much fog lately it's been a bit depressing. I'd definitely take the sunshine over the fog, even if it means colder temperatures.

    ReplyDelete
  4. did your dashboard tell you that it's supposed to be +10 today!! To make this world a better place I am going to support my local community and attend the comedy festival tonight! Rumor has it Clearwater Joe is making another appearance... Miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. No, I still have not gone too bed as I have spent the last hour returning e- mails. Ninjas never sleep Sheldon.

    To make this world a better place, I am going to care. Oh and also think "WWBD?" with each decision I make...

    ReplyDelete