Monday, March 22, 2010

Monday, Monday, Monday

Well, it was a Monday... enough said? And it was cold! -42 with windchill this morning on my walk to school, and was -37 on my walk home. The students, and myself, all had a hard time concentrating today. Got through all of my lessons with moderate success, but the day seemed particularly long.

Yesterday was fun. The trip out to the Bowhead Skull was really good. It wasn't quite what I was expecting... not as much left as I though. I was expecting the entire skeleton to still be there. In reality, just one large (10 feet) piece of Jaw, some ribs and a vertebrae were left. Pretty cool though. The ride home was interesting and cold! We took the sea home instead of the quick way we went to get there. I was really glad we did because it gave me a better idea of the make up of the island and I saw my first dog team in action!
This is the remaining piece of the Bowhead Whale skull. Just below the horizon you can see where the ice is buckling, this is the shorline. The remaining ribs and vertebrae to my left
I really do appreciate some peoples sense of humor. This would have had to be set up by someone knowing how much snow there normally is in order to put the boots at the proper height.
This is the dogteam... about 5 minutes from Iglulik. The weather changed really quickly!

What i'm listening to:
Just Another - Pete Yorn
On the Wing - Owl City
Hold On - Paul Brandt
What i learned today:
Sometimes you just don't know...
Complete the sentence:
The neatest thing i've ever found is

3 comments:

  1. again... click on images to enlarge

    ReplyDelete
  2. is your snowsuit warm enough?? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's an awesome skeleton!
    It looks like you're having a really great time up there!!

    The neatest thing I've ever found is a baby hawk in the hangar. That was an interesting day...

    ReplyDelete